Preoperative Instructions for Intravenous Anesthesia
When preparing for your surgery at our office, please follow these directions to make your care safer and more comfortable:
- Do not eat or drink anything (including water) for eight (8) hours prior to surgery. However, it is important that you take any regular medications (high blood pressure, antibiotics, etc.) or any pre-medication prescription that we have provided, using only a small sip of water. For morning appointments, skip breakfast. For afternoon appointments, eat a light breakfast eight (8) hours before your appointment and skip lunch.
- Again, please take any regular medications with only enough water to get the pill(s) down.
- You MUST have someone drive and/or escort you home.
- Please wear loose, comfortable clothing, preferably short sleeves.
- Please do not wear contact lenses, and use your glasses instead.
- Plan to rest for the remainder of the day. Do not operate power tools, machinery, or a vehicle, etc., for 24 hours after surgery.
Our goal is to provide you with a safe, pleasant and effective anesthetic. In order to do this it is imperative that we have your full cooperation. Please feel free to ask or call about any questions concerning your surgery or anesthetic. Our number is (650)340-6141.